Cleveland Water Polo made a very strong showing at our first offical tournament in Dayton. Our 1-3 record does not tell the whole story.
The team played four strong quarters against the Ohio Squirrels, University of Cincinnati and Ohio State University. We lost to UC and OSU by a combined three goals. No one knew this was our first tournament, they thought our club had played together already.
On the up side, we handled our NE Ohio rivals, Akron, to get our first official win. It felt good.
Other positive notes:
- Our 2m defense was outstanding. We had very few goals scored from this position
- We ran several successful 6-5 offensive sets with good ball movement and a strong shot
- Overall, we managed to control the pace of the games, this will get tougher in big pools
- We played as a team, even with new players and a short bench
We will continue to work on:
- Press defense and pressuring shooters
- Offensive movement in a half-court set
- Anticipation and transitions
- Conditioning (but don't fret, we can do this with scrimmages instead of swim sets)
Let's keep the momentum this Thursday at CSU at 7:30 p.m. with strong attendance and a good scrimmage. We also will play on Sunday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at HB.
Good job guys! See you thursday!
While the above comment was hilarious, it had to be deleted to protect my name. (stuff on the Internet never goes away)
Post a Comment